Directed by: Garth Jennings
Written by: Garth Jennings
Produced by: Chris Meledandri, Janet Healy
Other cast: Matthew McConaughey, Taron Egerton, Tori Kelly, Reese Witherspoon, Nick Kroll, Bobby Cannavale, Halsey, Bono, Pharrell Williams, Letitia Wright, Chelsea Peretti
Release date: 22nd December 2021
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
Next holiday season, the new chapter in Illumination’s smash animated franchise returns with big dreams and spectacular hit songs as can-do koala Buster Moon and his all-star cast of animal performers prepare to launch their most dazzling stage extravaganza yet …in the glittering entertainment capital of the world. There’s just one hitch: They first have to persuade the world’s most reclusive rock star—played by legendary music icon Bono, making his animated film debut—to join them.
Buster (Oscar® winner Matthew McConaughey) and his cast have turned the New Moon Theater into a local hit, but Buster has his eyes on a bigger prize: Debuting a new show at the Crystal Tower Theater in glamorous Redshore City.
But with no connections, Buster and his cast—including harried mother pig Rosita (Oscar® winner Reese Witherspoon), rocker porcupine Ash (Scarlett Johansson), earnest gorilla Johnny (Taron Egerton), shy elephant Meena (Tori Kelly) and, of course, porcine provocateur extraordinaire Gunter (Nick Kroll)—have to sneak their way into the world-famous Crystal Entertainment offices, run by a ruthless mogul wolf named Jimmy Crystal (Emmy winner Bobby Cannavale).
In a desperate attempt to get Mr. Crystal’s attention, Gunter spontaneously pitches an outrageous idea that Buster quickly runs with, promising that their new show will star lion rock legend Clay Calloway (Bono). Problem is, Buster has never met Clay, an artist who shut himself away from the world more than a decade ago after the loss of his wife and hasn’t been seen since.
As Gunter helps Buster dream up an out-of-this-world theatrical masterpiece, and the pressure (and sinister threats) from Mr. Crystal mount, Buster embarks on a quest to find Clay and persuade him to return to the stage. What begins as Buster’s dream of big-time success becomes an emotional reminder of the power of music to heal even the most broken heart.
Trivia & Production Info
– Illumination’s 12th feature film.
– Matthew McConaughey’s third animated film, after Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) and Sing (2016), both of which released in 2016.
– Illumination Entertainment’s third film to feature no humans, after Sing (2016) and The Grinch (2018).
– This will be Reese Witherspoon’s third sequel, after the last two Legally Blonde films.
– The third Illumination film to have a holiday season release, after Sing (2016) and The Grinch (2018).
– Universal’s tenth animated sequel, after An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991), Despicable Me 2 (2013), Despicable Me 3 (2017), How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019), The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019), Trolls World Tour (2020), Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022), The Croods: A New Age (2020) and The Boss Baby 2 (2021).
– Nick Kroll’s sixth theatrically released animated film, after Sausage Party (2016), Sing (2016), Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (2017), The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019), and The Addams Family (2019).
– This is the first Universal’s animated film of 2020s to be produced in 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
– Illumination Entertainment’s first film of the 2020s to be produced in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
– Illumination Entertainment’s second sequel outside of the Despicable Me films, after The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019).
– Illumination Entertainment’s second film to not include a main antagonist (aside from minor antagonists), after Sing (2016) and The Grinch (2018).
– Universal’s ninth computer-animated sequel, after Despicable Me 2 (2013), Despicable Me 3 (2017), How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019), The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019), Trolls World Tour (2020), Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022), The Croods: A New Age (2020) and The Boss Baby 2 (2021)
– Universal’s sixth animated film to not feature any humans, after The Land Before Time (1988), The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie (2008), Sing (2016), The Grinch (2018), and Trolls World Tour (2020).
– Bobby Cannavale’s third theatrically released animated film, after The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature (2017) and Ferdinand (2017).
– Halsey’s second theatrically released animated film, after Teen Titans GO! to the Movies (2018), as well as her first one that’s computer animated.
– Eric André’s third time voice acting in a theatrically released film, after The Lion King (2019) and Connected (2021), as well as his second fully animated one.
– Sound Mix: DTS (DTS: X) | Dolby Atmos (Dolby Atmos+Vision) | Auro 11.1 | Dolby Digital | Dolby Surround 7.1 | SDDS | Dolby Atmos
– Color: Color
Aspect Ratio: 1.85 : 1