Scarlett Johansson as Alex Foreman
Directed by Paul Weitz
Written by Paul Weitz
Release Date December 29, 2004
Genre Comedy / Drama
MPAA Rating PG-13
Dan Foreman (Dennis Quaid) is headed for a shakeup. He is demoted from head of ad sales for a major magazine when the company he works for is acquired in a corporate takeover. His new boss, Carter Duryea (Topher Grace), is half his age – a business school prodigy who preaches corporate synergy. While Dan develops clients through handshake deals and relationships, Carter cross-promotes the magazine with the cell phone division and Krispity Krunch, an indeterminate snack food under the same corporate umbrella. Both men are going through turmoil at home. Dan has two daughters, Alex (Scarlett Johansson), age 18, and Jana, age 16, and is shocked when his wife tells him she’s pregnant with a new child. Carter, in the meanwhile, is dumped by his wife of seven months just as he gets his promotion. Dan and Carter’s uneasy friendship is thrown into jeopardy when Carter falls for, and begins an affair with, Alex.
Scarlett Johansson’s Role
Scarlett Johansson plays Alex Foreman, Dan’s teenage daughter. She goes to college and plays tennis – she’s very much a regular teenager who just happens to be attracted to her father’s boss.
… Dennis Quaid
… Topher Grace
… Marg Helgenberger
Trivia & Facts
• Was originally called Synergy.
• During the daytime apartment scene between Alex and Carter, on the refrigerator are cut out pictures of Dennis Quaid and Tyrese Gibson from one of Quaid’s other 2004 films, Flight of the Phoenix.
• Scenes from the movie were filmed at New York University’s freshman dorm, Hayden Hall.
Quotes: Scarlett Johansson
• “I play the kind of girl I could have been if I didn’t have this job or choose this path. She’s a New York University student, she’s my age and she’s a junior tennis champion – she’s very cool, very relaxed and very honest.”
(on her character)
Quotes: Her Character
• “But this isn’t a foxhole. It’s a Porsche.”
• “You’re kind of a bizarrely honest guy, huh?”
• “Dad, I was like five years old when we made that deal.”
• “I was just thinking about how my dad said he wired this place with video surveillance.”
• Official Site
The official movie site.
• Internet Movie Database
Additional cast and credits. Plot summary and more.
• News Archive
Read the latest of related news.